Monday, May 19, 2008

8 Years... who would have thunk it?

It took me about 5 minutes to walk down the aisle at my wedding. No, I didn't panic with a case of cold feet. Nor did I trip and fall flat on my face (the more likely of the two scenarios). Fred and I got married on the beach in Carmel, CA, and the aisle was seriously that long. It was a beautiful, temperate day on the California coast, and I had a lot to contemplate as I tromped towards the beach in my two inch heels. Did I look every bit the part of a blushing bride? Do I have enough SPF's to get me through the ceremony? Can they see my underwear through this dress? Hey, look... bugs having sex!

Sometimes I can be as deep as a puddle.

You'll notice nowhere in there were there thoughts about the huge journey I was about to embark on. I think I was a pretty naive 23 year old who looked at marriage as something you did. Did you love the guy? Sure! So why not get married. There were no thoughts of, "what kind of father will he be? What do I want out of marriage? What is my role as a wife?" Amazingly enough, I gave no thoughts about any expectations I had about married life.

Eight years later, what could have been a disastrous decision, turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done. I believe that there isn't anyone out there better suited for me, and I cannot imagine a better, more fun man to travel life's roads with.

He loves me despite my many quirks. Even better, he embraces them and doesn't try to change me. He is one of the hardest workers I've ever met, and has never complained once over the last 8 years that our family relies on him, and him only as our income source. Although our senses of humour are very different, he still cracks me up on a daily basis.

If you are lucky enough to call him your friend, you know how he goes the extra mile for the people he loves. If you asked for the shirt off of his back, he would give it to you. And his pants. And, if it wasn't so gross, probably his underwear too.

He doesn't get my love for Lost, but will watch it with me... mainly because it's in HD. He will sometimes show up at lunchtime during a weekday and bring me Chick-fil-a. On Sunday, he mopped the floors for me. I know he loves me and will do almost anything to make me happy. We're talking about a guy who has flown to 4 different states to see my favourite band 7 different times. Love? I think so!

Above all else, he is a wonderful, Godly man. He knows he isn't perfect, but tries his best to live his life according to God's word. He is an amazing example to our little girl of what a husband should be.

Over the past twelve years (4 years dating, eight married), we have gone hot air ballooning, driven through Europe, rafted 10 rivers, bought a house, hiked in Hawaii, been extras on an X-Files episode, racked up over $75,000 worth of debt, paid off over $75,000 worth of debt, skied Jackson Hole, jumped off a 30 foot cliff and made a beautiful daughter together.

I am so thankful for our marriage. I feel blessed beyond all measure to call Fred Cunha my best friend, father of our daughter and best of all... my husband.


4 comments:

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

That brought tears to my eyes! Y'all are such wonderful ppl!"

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! You guys rock!

Nate said...

Fred mentioned you were blogging. Now I see why. He just wanted me to see how cool you think he is! :-) Just kidding. He is an awesome guy. And I think he'd even give me his underwear if it was relatively clean...

And you are awesome too Jo! We love having you both, and now Elise!, in our lives. Happy (belated) Anniversary.

christygirl said...

Okay, if I didn't already think you guys were the coolest people EVER, now I do! It always blows me away, every time, how God will sneak up behind me, cover my eyes, go "guess who?", I turn around and he's holding out the coolest present. Sounds like you feel that way about Fred, he about you, me about so many things, recently...you guys!