Wednesday, September 1, 2010

We bought a crib (for $22)!

I was starting to believe that Mattias was going to have to sleep in a box beside our bed after he grew out of the bassinet. I knew since we started expecting this baby, that we were going to need a new crib. Elise's had been handed down to us, was about 8 years old and seriously needed to be condemned.

I decided to start looking at Craig's List. Like, every day. Wow, that place is a black hole for crazies and people living in a fantasy world. It just seems to suck them in by the the boatloads. Sir or madame, I am glad that your crib served you well for 5 years and 6 babies, but you are out of your ever-lovin' mind if you think $250 for a crib you originally paid $300 for over half a decade ago, is a good price.

And no... I DON'T want your crib that has been recalled. Not even if it's only $25. Or just waiting outside of your house to be picked up for free.

And one last piece of advice; if you actually WANT to sell your baby furniture, don't use the "cheap" in the title. As in, "Great, CHEAP crib for sale". Cheap and crib should never be uttered in the same sentence. What you need is a thesaurus.

Whew, glad I got that off of my chest.

So how did we get such a great deal without stealing (or deciding to go for the recalled crib that was free)? Well, last week I got an email from a popular baby store that was offering 25% off a new crib when you brought back your old, broken-down one. But wait, there's more!

We also had some gift cards that were given to us as presents, as well as store credit for some returns, so the entire out of pocket expense to us for a $170 crib was just $22! Sa-weet!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go take the linens out of that vegetable box I picked up at Costco yesterday.

1 comments:

phonelady said...

thanks for the laugh and yes craigslist is a black hole just as you describe . Love the post .