Thursday, January 15, 2009

Holy Cow... 150 Posts!

I just realized that this was going to be my 150th post. If posts were measured in years, it would be my Sesquicentennial. I really like that word, although I'd be hard-pressed to pronounce it correctly. In dog posts, it would be post number 1050.

So to celebrate, I thought I'd unpack 150 things about me. No, just kidding. Even I couldn't stand to read that list. But I did think it would be fun to list 10 strange and quirky things about me. It's just Joanne being Joanne.

1. I cannot sleep with a closet door open. Seriously, it freaks me out. You can blame it on Stephen King's short story "The Boogeyman" that I read when I was 12 and home alone. Because a friend of my older brother who I had a crush on told me to. Sigh, the things we do when we're young, impressionable and in love.

2. I can't wear shirts with only one pocket. It has to be two (which I'm not a huge fan of either), or none. It makes me feel unbalanced. Shirts with unsymmetrical designs are not a favourite either.

3. I prefer not to eat the ends of stuff... chicken strips, french fries, crust off of toast; you get the idea. It sure makes Fred happy when we eat Chick-fil-a.

4. I cannot sleep with socks on. My feet need to breathe at night.

5. I go through the grocery store the same way every time. Going the opposite way makes me feel all out of sorts; like I'm driving on the wrong side of the road. I tried it once to prove that I could, and while I was able to do it, I sure didn't like it.

6. Don't ever make me go to bed without flossing my teeth. I would be up all night, tossing and turning while freaking out about the colonies of bacteria that were growing between my teeth; eating away at the enamel. Clean teeth and no socks is the ONLY way I go to bed. And don't forget to close the closet door.

7. We hardly ever use a debit/credit card when we eat out at restaurants, but when we do, and I fill out the slip, I always have to make it so the price of the food plus the tip come out to a rounded amount; like $25. Fred assures me that this isn't so weird, but I've never known anyone else that does it.

8. Those Charles Schwab commercials with the people that are drawn to look like actual people, but aren't really, freak me out. In fact, animation like the Incredibles freaks me out too. It's something about the way the character's mouths move when they talk.

9. I know a lot of people like to have the cash in their wallet have all the bills facing the same way; smallest to largest, and while I agree with them on 50% of this, my bills have to be stacked largest to smallest. I don't even understand why you would do it the other way. It's just plain weird.

10. I would like to be able to do this, because I enjoy listening to music, but I can't stand to have those ear-bud things in my ears when I'm out walking. I'm one of those strange people who want to hear the car before it runs me over. While we're on the subject of earphones, if I'm using the over-the-ear kind, I have to have one on and one off (the other sits behind my ear). And now that I think about it, the one that's off, always has to be the right one. This one comes from working in radio. At least I have one reason for some of the weird things I do.

While that's not a complete list, I think it's enough for now. In fact, it was probably a little too much. Oh well, now your brain cells are stuck with it!

5 comments:

Jade Clark said...

We usually make our tip cause the final amount to be even (if I can do the math, if not, I ask Michael how much to put, hahah!).

And I do the one ear bud thing when I'm walking, I too need to hear my surroundings as well as the music.

Love learning things about you, Jo! =)

About us... said...

Jo,
I so enjoy reading your blogs. You always have a sense of directness mixed with your cannie-dry humor. It makes me want to laugh out loud and not many things do that for me.
Keep being Jo, I love it!
Lis

Cheryl said...

Well Jo, you are just a little weird. We share a couple of these likes or dislikes - can't stand to wear socks in bed, the closet door can be open all night, the bill at the restaurant are never an even amount and you would cringe if you saw the money in my wallet, it's never in order and usually just stuffed in 'however' it lands - how can we be related.
As always, I love to read your blog, keep up the great work.
Love Mom

Curdie said...

My husband makes the final bill at a restaurant even also. I've heard that waiters think it's annoying, though. At least they aren't annoyed until after you've finished.

Albert Frank McComber said...

hey jo! you always put a smile on my face with your humor...i love it! and, i can honestly say that subscribe to at least 7 out of the 10 of your list...i'm full of oddities, as well. i think that's why God made us friends. love you!
becky :)