Monday, October 6, 2008

She's Just Trying to be Helpful

For some reason, Elise has been having sleeping issues in the mornings. I'm not sure if it's related to the diabetes, but it started just after we got home from the hospital. Usually she sleeps until 8:30. I never used to hear a peep out of her until she would wake up, bright-eyed and ready to go. But lately she's been waking up around 6:00, crying. Sometimes she soothes herself back to sleep, and sometimes either Fred or I have to go in, put a hand on her chest, and she'll usually fall back asleep in five minutes. When we used to soothe her as a tiny baby, we'd also make a shushing noise. It's become such a habit, I still do it to this day!

So this morning I go in around 7:00. I put my hand on her chest, and she quiets down right away. Because I'm so tired, I neglect to do the shushing thing. After standing there for about a minute, I start hearing a "shhhhhhhhhh" coming from the crib. It continues for about another minute until she falls asleep.

I guess we've taught her well...

2 comments:

Jade Clark said...

Aww, how sweet is that?!?!

Val said...

That is too cute. You are teaching her to be a good nurturer, I love it.