Monday, October 13, 2008


That previous post was an attempt to make myself laugh and get in good spirits. Starting the week with a laugh in hopes that it would set the tone for the week to come.

Didn't really work. I know, it's only Monday, but this was truly one of the most craptastic days since Elise was diagnosed. It started off this morning when I took Elise's BG and it was almost 400. When she has levels over 250, I have to check for ketones. The result came back that she had a moderate amount, which means a call to her endo. At one point I was preparing Elise's breakfast and insulin while trying to discuss a treatment plan with the diabetes nurse AND console a very unhappy baby. I felt like a frickin' circus clown who is trying to juggle chainsaws. Badly.

The day just got worse from there as Elise's BG was even higher the second time I took it after I had given her a correction dosage of insulin. And she still had ketones. I called the nurse again and she kept asking me if I was making sure Elise was drinking water (it helps flush the ketones out). I told her that yes, I was trying to give her water, but if she had a magical way to make a 13 month old drink when she seemed to be violently opposed to it, then I was all ears. She then suggested I give her diluted Crystal Light. I politely informed her that I don't keep such a product in my house, but if she would wait a few minutes, I WOULD PULL IT OUT OF MY ASS FOR HER.

Do I sound upset? I am. Mostly because this person on the other end of my telephone didn't seem to get that you can lead a baby to water, but she will most likely fling that sippy cup at your head if she doesn't want to drink. She made me feel like I wasn't doing it properly. Oh, I see, I'm supposed to put the water in a cup and she will magically drink it for me? Here I was trying to WISH it down her throat. Silly me.

After the fun task of spooning food into a screaming baby's mouth, I put Elise down for her nap and prepared to take her to the pediatrician after she woke up. Yes, started preparing almost two hours in advance, because of the amount of crap I needed to haul with me. When she awoke I threw her in the car and drove like a mad woman to get to the appointment on time. Two hours, a few tests, and much poking and prodding later; we were on our way home.

More spooning food into a screaming baby's mouth, and Fred finally makes it home. I am wiped. I am mad. I am upset. I am sad. I also don't know how much more of this I can take. There was some good news though... Elise's ketones were eventually negative. So there's that. At least I can hold onto the fact that one thing did go right today.


Kim said...

Thanks for venting. It sounds like it was a horrible day. I've had those days where the vicious cycle won't stop. Josiah would cry more because I was stressed, and I would feel more stressed because he was crying and I couldn't calm him down. That whole "Be calm so your baby will feel it and calm down" is much harder than one might think.

I will continue to pray daily for you and for Elise, and encourage you to just keep praying for His strength. As Paul wrote: "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 2:9-10

HeyJade said...

Wow, quite a day!!! Can't tell you how many times I've wanted to punch a nurse in the face for stupid stuff like that. Makes me wonder if these people have kids cause they sure as heck don't seem to realize that things are not nearly as easy as they make them sound. Hope your day at the zoo today helped turn your week around.